Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Next Leg of the Journey (pun intended)

I went to my follow-up appointment with the orthopedic surgeon yesterday. They took the cast off, removed the staples, and took more x-rays. I've had pictures of my ankle taken at least 5 times over the last 2 1/2 weeks. Each time they do at least 3 pictures. That's a lot of x-rays!

Anyway, the staples weren't as bad as I expected. The physician assistant who removed them indicated that it would be uncomfortable but not as bad as the pain I've gone through over the last couple of weeks. Point well taken. It was just nice to get them out of my skin!

I was put into a walking cast - it looks like a cross between a Stormtrooper boot and a ski boot. I'll put it up on my site once I get a picture of it. Anyway, the beauty of this contraption is that I can actually take it off if I have an itch or muscle cramp. I'm to leave it on as much as possible, but can take it off to shower or scratch an itch. I am not walking on it for another 3 weeks. At that point I'll have it on for another 5 weeks, but I'll walk with it. Yesterday it sounded good, by last night I was dreading the next 8 weeks! Today it's working out ok, I just hope I get used to it soon.

Things seem to be healing well. The doctor did say that he's keeping me off of my foot for a little longer because females tend to have more fragile bones and when he was in there during the surgery he could tell the bones were a little weaker. Guess milk is going to be a new favorite drink for me! Thank goodness for Yoplait Thick & Creamy yogurt. http://www.yoplait.com/products_lightcreamy.aspx

I'm out of work for the next few weeks and then will go back with Steve's help. I won't be driving until the boot is off - I'm guessing mid-May! The doctor said that within 6 months I'd be back to normal - 6 months??? Seriously, it was a 1 second fall that will cost me 6 months in recovery. I'm moving south - forget this ice/snow stuff. I'm no longer a fan!

No comments: