Sunday, March 18, 2007

Electric Carts and Other Things

It's been a few days since I've posted anything. As you might imagine, sitting around home most days doesn't allow for a lot of new material.

Today we went to the grocery store - big day out for Debbie! I'm getting pretty good at the electric carts. They zip around the store pretty well. I almost knocked down a display - but only once. The only bad thing about the cart I was on is there still really isn't any place to rest my foot - but it sure beats walking around the store on crutches! The carts go forward or reverse. I try to avoid the reverse feature if at all possible because it makes that lovely "beep, beep, beep." Steve enjoys making that sound as I back into the car when we do go out.

It's interesting being out in public with my cast and crutches. Lots of stares from people. Today at the store I had 2 people comment on my toes being cold. It's just too hard to keep a sock on my toes with the cast and all. It is a little chilly out there today, but really I can't feel my toes all that much so the cold doesn't bother them. I find that the people who talk to me are usually on the older side. I'm much more comfortable with their comments than those closer to my age. Maybe it's because the older people tend to move a little slower and I feel more comfortable with that pace right now.

So, how are everyone's brackets going for the tournament? I'm doing ok in the pool I'm in, but we'll see how today goes. One of the highlights of my emails over the last few days was one from Steve's grandmother. It simply read "I'll bet you didn't have Duke losing in the first round!" Loved it! She was absolutely right - although I can't say I was too sad by their loss. I just can't get behind Duke - goes back to the Christian Laettner days I think. I will say the Duke campus is absolutely beautiful though. Steve and I were there a few years ago when we added North and South Carolina to our list of states.

I've been Vicodin free for about three days now. We'll see if I can go the whole day today. After leaving the grocery store I thought for sure I'd be taking one, but now that I'm back in my little cocoon upstairs I'm feeling better.

One last thing - we bought a bag of dark chocolate at the store today. Steve and I have agreed that it will be kept up here with me. We'll see how long it lasts out of Steve's sight.

3 comments:

Lordia Fok said...

I was at work and I thought of you. :)

Hopefully people haven't been staring too obviously...but I'm sure that one of the takeaways from this experience is how blessed you are to be only temporarily immobile. Can you imagine people who are disabled? :O

Have some self control with the dark chocos and don't be too restless!

Lordia Fok said...

Oh...and one more thing about BAF. Remember we got stuffed mushrooms for me? By the time I had a chance to eat, they were all gone! It was really sad!

Anonymous said...

Hi there I saw your post and decided to comment.I recently had surgery as well,plate and 4 screws,oh so exciting and now in this huge splint just like yours,I am supposed to get my hard cast on Friday I am a bit scared,did you get it yet?Feel free to email me mortgagebank1@gmail.com,David.