Friday, April 6, 2007

Road Trip to Seed Savers

Today marked my first "extended" outing since the ankle incident of '07.

Steve, my friend Tracy, and I hopped in the car (I literally hopped) and set off on a Road Trip to Decorah, Iowa to a place called Seed Savers - http://www.seedsavers.org/ . The drive took us through Rochester, MN and then just into Iowa. It was a gorgeous day out - nice and sunny. It was rather windy and quite brisk outside. Seed Savers is a farm setting that spreads over 890 acres - they have walking paths and of course - lots of gardens. Given that it's early here and it was cold, there weren't many visitors and we only explored the visitor's center. Steve picked up a couple of books, some potatoes, and I picked up some seed packets - both flowers and vegetables.

We then went into Decorah and had lunch at a little bistro in town. It was pretty good. We saw a gentleman there with his beard in a couple of ponytails. A little strange....

There were some little shops that looked interesting, but given my condition we just kept on going. We did drive through the campus of Luther College which is housed there. There was a statue of a big head which Steve graciously posed by for a picture.

Tracy knew of a bakery in Rochester that was good. So on the drive back we stopped at The Bread Baker http://www.breadbakercompany.com/index.html . Some great tasting bread!

It was a day of driving with a few stops here and there. It was fun getting to catch up with Tracy who just came back from Puerto Vallarta and was a great way to spend my last day of my time off of work.

I am back to full-time at work next week. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the picture of Steve & the Big Head???

Debbie said...

Good point! I will have to get that downloaded and posted!