Friday, April 13, 2007

I Didn't Drive (much over) 55

Today marked 6 weeks since my fall on ice. In order to "boost my mood," Steve suggested that I might want to drive to work. At first I was pretty apprehensive, but then I decided that it would be fine. The doctor had told me that I could drive. I just get to the car in my boot and once in the car I change out of the boot into a shoe and then back to the boot when I get to the destination. I had originally thought I'd wait a couple of more weeks, but....why not!

Sadly, none of my shoes would fit on my foot since it's still pretty swollen. Luckily one of Steve's tennis shoes worked just fine. So, we got me set up in "Little Red" (my new car from last fall) and I was on my way. It felt so strange at first, but I definitely enjoyed the freedom of driving myself. (I'm sure Steve enjoyed the freedom of being on his own for the day!)

I think it was good exercise to move my foot back and forth from gas pedal to brake. I drove with my right foot, however when I really wanted to push down on the brake I used my left too. I was very conservative in my driving - not a lot of lane switching, stayed around the speed limit and left lots of room between me and other cars.

I'm happy to report that I made it to work and back with no problems. Steve was on standby to come get me if I felt that I couldn't make it back. (also if I had a flat tire or any other problem)

So, I'm one more step closer to being back to normal. I don't plan on driving every day anytime soon, but it's nice to know that I do have the option.

I'm thankful it's the weekend! A full week at work and no Price is Right this week - I'm tired and a little sad. :)

No comments: