Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Feet Don't Fail Me Now

The picture to the right is one I took looking down at my feet while standing barefoot in my family room. I just took off socks, so I have some strange lines on my feet. The only scars are still the vertical ones on the side. I also notice that I've got some strange spacing between my toes on the right foot. Guess the bones need to remember how to work now that they've been on a leave of absence for 11 weeks.

I received the ok to go back to regular shoes today and start walking. The doctor said to try it at home for a day or two before I start going out and about without my boot. It was pretty strange to take the first step tonight here at home. I'm enjoying the freedom it provides to just get up and move when I want to. I also was able to tuck my leg underneath me while sitting on the couch for the first time in almost 3 months.

The report from the OS was good. I'm about 99.9% healed. He said I will have swelling still for the next 6-12 months, but that I'm about a month out from being able to run. Hmmm...never was a runner before, but hey - why not! I can leave the hardware in my ankle for life - however, if after a year it starts bugging me having a plate on the side of my ankle, we can go in and take it out. At this point I'm not planning on it, that's for sure. I don't have to go back to see the doctor unless I have any troubles or concerns. I'd definitely recommend this OS to anyone needing orthopedic surgery.

I am very slow walking and I limp quite a bit, but I know it'll get better. Every stage of this process has seemed difficult at first, but it quickly gets easier. I hope by my girl's weekend in early June to be walking around just fine.

Quick Note: Price is Right has a primetime special on Wednesday, May 16th and a special on Bob Barker on May 17th. Be sure and watch!

Well, need to check my laundry. Exciting - I don't have to use crutches, put on my boot, or anything. Woo-hoo!! I simply can get up and walk....feet don't fail me now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice

Anonymous said...

Let me just say that I hope I never break a bone! I can't believe everything you've gone through & how long the process is!

Anonymous said...

What nice looking feet - you even have the nails polished and all!

You have a great attitude! And it has paid off.