Saturday, January 30, 2010

Settling the Bill

I wholeheartedly agree with Philip Dorwat in his post on the Mpls St. Paul Mag blog.  One of my biggest pet peeves at a restaurant is when the server asks "Do you need any change?" when picking up the bill. And yes, I am a good tipper by practice.  

I was at a restaurant before Christmas where the bill was $14.50 and I laid down a $20 and was asked "Do you need change?"  Really???  Am I going to tip you that much?  Maybe on a holiday or special occasion, but it was for a pizza on a random day in the middle of the week.

I was at a place this evening for dinner and heard our waitress ask another table if they needed change.  I decided I would use a credit card versus having to get asked that question.  I've thought about just not tipping if they ask that, but I haven't quite gotten to that point.  It's just one of those things that does cause the tip to go down after potentially a good experience. 

Another way for a waitress/waiter to lower their tip is by waiting too long to bring the bill.  So many servers drop the ball on this one.  They may be extremely attentive all meal, but when it comes time to get the bill they have suddenly disappeared.  See it through people, see it through!

What causes you to leave a smaller tip?  What causes you to leave a more generous tip?

Happy Eating! 

3 comments:

Reservations For One said...

when my water glass is never refilled!

Reservations For One said...

As to the second question - I tip more when servers are knowledgeable about the menu and can make great recommendations. Another thing that is impressive is when they know the fine line between too much and too little attentiveness.

Dawn said...

I agree with the comments made about the second question. I do think wait staff often drops the ball about bringing the bill in a timely fashion.