Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Burger is a Burger....or not

Occasionally on a weekend, we'll hop in the car and find an out of the way diner or burger joint to try.  Minnesota Monthly magazine helped the process along a couple of years ago by publishing an article on hamburgers.  Over the last couple of years we've managed to try a number of these "burger kings". 

To start with, I must explain that when it comes to burgers...plain is the way to go.  I've had friends tease me about ordering a plain burger, but what better way to compare burgers to each other than to just order the tried and true standard.  Meat on a bun.  I mean really, you throw on a piece of cheese or a crisp piece of bacon and you've lost the essential taste of the meat.  I want to be able to tell if it's juicy or dry, well seasoned or bland.  Now sometimes I will add a little mayo or ketchup to the burger, but only after trying it au natural.  (And if I'm adding a sauce, I've likely not found the end all be all of burgers.)  I do enjoy a good cheeseburger every now and then, but if I'm trying out a new place I typically go plain.  Speaking of cheeseburgers and idiosyncrasies, my Dad has to have mustard on a cheeseburger but not on a hamburger. 

Recently we paid a visit to an out of the way restaurant/bar called House of Coates.  I can't find a website, although there are a number of reviews if you google them.  We have been there for lunch a couple of times before, so we knew what to expect.  We got there about 6:30 and had just a small wait, although the host said 25 minutes it was more like 10-15.  There were a couple of spots at the bar, so we grabbed a drink and waited.  We each ordered a plain burger and split fries.  The place was busy and so we had to wait a bit for our meal.  Just made us that much hungrier.  The burgers and fries came and looked good.  The burgers were not the "fake looking" pressed patties that you sometimes get at restaurants.  These burgers were handmade patties - not perfectly round, a little loose in the formation.  The fries were pretty standard.  I was disappointed in the lack of taste of the burger.  It was juicy, just a slight pink center, but really not much taste at all.  Let's put it this way....I added ketchup.  There are just too many other good burger places to go these days.

We went to another out of the way burger place during the holidays.  We headed to King's Place (warning, the website is slow to open).  This is an interesting burger place.  It sits in a town with a population of probably no more than 150, but it is always busy.  They have a huge variety of burgers.  I know I went on in the previous paragraph about ordering plain burgers.  Well here, there are so many interesting ones that after the initial visit with a plain burger, I usually mix it up now.  As with the Coates restaurant, the fries are unremarkable.  The burgers are just soooo good.  Juicy, flavorful, handmade (no pressed patties there).  I would highly recommend a visit to King's Place if you are looking for a good, inexpensive burger. 

Let me know if you ever need ideas of where to go.  I have many thoughts on good burgers in the area...even some in other parts of the country.  For example, nothing beats a good Kelly Burger.   

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

Karla Monson said...

Hey Debbie - we love Kings bar! It's close to our home towns so glad to hear you found it!!! Still haven't had the nerve to try the one with peanut butter on it...but everyone says it's good! See ya,
Karla