Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tosca

The hubby and I found ourselves recently in the area of Tosca.  We had not visited the restaurant since our chef Adam Vickerman left.  We thought since we were near there, we would give it a try.

We had the same table as we always get - must be their "first seating" table.  The dining room is rather narrow, so one person is on a bench and the other in a chair.  The dining room has hard wood floors and are kind of noisy - especially when wait staff walk quickly through the dining room.  It's not really that annoying, just noticeable.

We both ordered a local beer - Liftbridge's Farm Girl.  Such a nice, refreshing beer!  And we were given a bread basket.  The bread was good, but the crust was too crusty for me!

I then ordered the starter of scallops on a bed of polenta and ramps.  The dish was presented and while it was very plate appealing, there was a definite fishy smell that was pretty powerful.  I was leary about trying the scallops because of the smell, but I'm glad I did!  They were nice and crisp on the outside and moist and tender on the inside.  Very good!  The polenta was fine to me, but the hubby who is a polenta expert - or so he thinks - didn't care for the polenta dish.  The ramps were fine - although their kitchen knives need a bit of a sharpening.  I was complaining throughout the meal of not being able to cut my ramps. 

Our entrees arrived - the hubby had the green orchetti with spicy tomato confit, basil and black pepper mascarpone.  He also had a side of the swiss chard with shallot, garlic, and balsamic.  Orchetti is an ear shaped pasta - just in case you were wondering.

I had the ravioli with spinach and cheese.  It seemed to have the spinach pieces incorporated into the pasta - although it could have been a sauce.  Whatever it was, it was very good!

We skipped dessert at the restaurant and instead went for the best ice cream in the cities!  Sebastian Joe's.  We both had raspberry chocolate chip ice cream in a waffle cone.  Yum!!

The dinner was good, but I missed Adam Vickerman in the kitchen.

Happy Eating!

No comments: