Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sidetrip: The Ribeye

I was in Champaign, Illinois recently and visited The Ribeye Steakhouse with my parents.  What a great Sunday evening deal they have!  For $32 you can get a steak dinner for two with a 1/2 carafe of house wine.  The deal includes a 16 ounce Ribeye that you can split however you want it.  My dad had 10 ounces and I had 6 ounces.  With our steaks we had a baked potato and of course the salad bar.  My mom went with the salad bar only.  The waitress was thoughtful and brought 3 glasses for the wine and so we all had red wine with dinner. 

The salad bar was good and seemed fresh even though we were towards the end of the night.  They also had a number of cold salads along with the regular lettuce salad fixings.  You definitely can make a meal of the salad bar, but when you come to a steakhouse...why wouldn't you get steak?  (No offense to my mom!)

My steak was good - although there was quite a bit of fat that I had to eat around.  Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but I went with a smaller cut and so would have liked just a bit more meat and less fat.  The flavor was great though and it was served on a sizzling platter along with my potato.  The potato was good, although I had to keep adding salt to it.  I don't think that is a preparation issue at all, just my own taste buds craving salt I guess.

The house wine was fine.  I was driving though, so I only had one glass early in the meal. 

We decided to skip dessert at the restaurant.  We were pretty full and knew there were ice cream/frozen custard options on the way home if we decided to go for dessert. 

Definitely worth a visit if you are in Champaign - especially on a Sunday evening!

Happy Eating!

No comments: