Saturday, April 24, 2010

Common Roots

This week the hubby and I went to the Simple, Good, and Tasty dinner at Common Roots Cafe.  This is our third SGT dinner and it did not disappoint! 

At these events you end up sitting with strangers and get to know each other over a great meal.  We arrived fairly early and had our pick of where to sit for the evening.  We chose a table that was a bit in back and out of the way.  (This would guarantee that we would not end up on the SGT blog as we have in the past!)  We were joined by two women who made the evening much more interesting than if it were just the hubby and me.  

So, onto the dinner.  The event was held toward the back of the restaurant which left the front section for walk-in customers.  While we gathered, the waitstaff took drink orders and passed around appetizers.  I decided to go with a beer instead of wine with this meal and had a glass of Fulton Beer's Worthy Adversary.  I know one of the four guys behind Fulton Beer so was interested in trying it because of him.  Worthy Adversary was a very dark, "thick" beer and one that I normally wouldn't have tried.  However, it was very good and went well with my meal.  Good choice on a warm April evening!

After welcoming the attendees and a few introductions, we were on to our first course.  We were served egg drop soup with foraged ramps.  What surprised me most about this soup were the tomatoes.  It reminded me more of a vegetable soup than what I think of as egg drop soup.  I was disappointed with only one ramp in my bowl, but I believe the hubby had more.  It was very good and was a great way to start the meal.

We then were brought out a basket of bread which had two different types.  One was foccacia and the other was a sourdough type bread.  I only tried the foccacia and it was very tasty and didn't have the oily texture that I typically associate with foccacia.

There was quite a bit of time in between courses and so we continued to have fun discussions with our table mates while we waited.  The main entree came and was a roasted duck breast with door county cherry chutney, nettle and ricotta agnolotti, and picked green garlic.  I will admit that if I would have seen the menu ahead of time I would have likely pre-ordered the vegetarian option.  I have tried duck before and it just is not something that I typically order.  I suppose it was good to get me out of my comfort zone.  It was good from what I could tell - not having much experience with duck!  The hubby avoided eating the skin because he said it was rather fatty.  He is much more likely to order duck than I am, so he seems to know what it should and shouldn't taste like.  The agnolotti was ok.  We were served a rather small portion of it and to me it was gritty.  The hubby loved it and would gladly have eaten mine.  So, the main entree was ok.  It probably was more appealing to duck eaters.  Me....I think I'll go back to my comfort zone and forego duck for awhile.

After the entree and before dessert there were more speakers talking about eating local and getting kids to eat local and healthier.  Then the best part of the meal arrived...3 small desserts that we didn't have to share with anyone!  One was a pavlova (similar to a meringue) with mascrated berries - it was good.  Then a chocolate friand with chocolate ganache (mini cake) and lemon curd - very good - what's not to like about chocolate!  Finally, a lavender and almond ice cream - which was great!!  The ice cream was fresh and cool and had the crunchy surprise of almonds sprinkled throughout.  My only complaint was that I could have used a lot more of that ice cream!  However, I enjoyed the three mini desserts and felt it was a good ending to a nice evening.

I have a Common Roots gift card and will definitely go back!  It's a great restaurant and if you are all about the "local foods" movement, this restaurant delivers.

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Surprised myself by how much I liked Worthy Adversary. Agnolotti was fantastic.